Tuesday, January 27, 2009

If you thought you understood courage, you ain't seen nothing yet

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Kenechi Udeze. Kenechi's experience in the NFL -- entering as an all-American from USC -- has been extremely different than most. 

That is a complete understatement.

Kenechi Udeze was a 1st round draft pick in the 2004 NFL Draft, by the Minnesota Vikings. He had an extremely successful first few years in the league, as a full time starter beginning his rookie year. He was every Vikings fan's favorite and was productive on the field -- and a star off the field. Everything had been going great for him.

Until February 11, 2008.
 
   *Udeze has been through a lot*

That date -- close to a year ago -- Udeze's life changed forever. He was diagnosed with a rare form of "acute leukemia" requiring a lot of treatment, including a bone marrow transplant from his brother. 

After working on regaining his health last offseason, he was put on Injured Reserve for this past season. 

He knew he wouldn't be playing in 2008, but hoped -- and vowed -- he'd be back in the Metrodome again. 

Now, after losing 50 pounds in the past year, January 26, has become another day Udeze and his loved ones will remember forever. Yesterday, he came out publicly by saying he hopes to --and plans -- on returning and playing football once again.                                                  

"My goal is when the team gets back together, I'll be in my jersey and on the sideline with them." 

Unbelievable. 

He has a few months before offseason training begins to make sure his health is in perfect condition for football, and I know you're with me when I say I can't wait until September 6, 2009 -- opening weekend of the NFL. 

After getting back on the practice field and playing in the preseason, that date will be the next to have major significance for Kenechi Udeze -- and for anyone who has hope. 

Kenechi Udeze is a true hero for all. What he is in the process of doing gives hope and courage too all. He's just another example of someone who is "never giving up"; he is a strong believer in "getting anything he puts his heart into."

When this news came out, I was so excited for him. As a Vikings fan, I was ecstatic that he will play for us again. 

As a sports fan, I was happy that he was getting back to doing what he loved.

But as a person, I was truly touched with his story, admired with what he went through, and encouraged to do anything I wanted.

I think it's safe to say that I can comfortably announce Kenechi Udeze as the best representer of being the "Purple Trojan" -- truly a hero in all of our books.
             *He will play again!*

3 comments:

  1. Hey Brian,

    Great stuff! Awesome banner and clean look to the blog. That SI mock-up you have of Favre is twisted :)

    Check me out at http://interceptionking.blogspot.com - we'll have to link to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,

    Nice blog! Like you, I hope Udeze makes it all the way back and is a force for the Vikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pulling for Udeze as much as the next guy but to say, "He was every Vikings fan's favorite and was productive on the field" seems pretty revisionist. He missed all but 3 games of his second season with an injury, didn't get a single sack in 2006 and has only 11 sacks in all 4 seasons he's been on the Vikings active roster.

    I'm sorry to say this since it seems pretty important to you but we don't need to misrepresent his past to root for a guy that's been through everything Udeze has.

    I hope his career is just beginning.

    ReplyDelete